Follow this simple training exercise to learn how to use the CHAI Community App and to understand its core features. Key words have links to the CHAI User Guide.
Sign in to your Personal CHAI Record and step through the following 10 tasks. If you don’t have a CHAI account then sign up here. During this exercise, you will use your Personal CHAI Record as an example client record.
You can change and update your record whenever you like after completing this training.
Each Task should be visible in the Client Notes section of CHAI (we will show you how to find this shortly). Once you have completed any given Task, click the square on the left of each Task in Client Notes to mark it as ‘task complete’.
Throughout this exercise, keep an eye on your client’s (you in this training case)
This may change depending on the information you add to your record and will highlight any important things you need to be aware of at a glance. There are also several icons on the right of the banner that are Shortcut & Status Indicators to the buttons that we will be discussing below so that you can access information quickly when needed.
Navigate to the Client Summary Page Also known as the Client Home Page
There are lots of buttons in CHAI that will direct you away from the Client’s Summary Page . If you are ever unsure of where you are in the App you can easily return to this page.
- Whilst you are on the Summary Page, click on some of the button options in the Menu on the left of your screen (the list of icons that starts with ‘Personal Details’ at the top).
- Now navigate back to the Summary Page by clicking the square box to the left of the client’s name (your name in your training/Personal Record) in the Banner at the top of your screen. Later on this box will contain a Personal Icon showing summary information.
- Two very useful panels will then be visible:
Complete Important Information
The Important Information section lists key information that should be entered for all clients. Each item on the list is a button that you can click in order to enter that information into CHAI.
Once completed, the item on the list will either update to display the information or it will disappear from the list and the information can be retrieved from the appropriate section in the record when needed – the same place you entered the information).
- Click on each item in the Important Information list and enter the information needed.
- Remember to click ‘Submit’ at the bottom of each form for the information to be saved.
- Return to the Summary Page after completing each form (Task 1).
Create a Client Note
Client Notes help you to keep track of important things related to supporting a client.
- Create a note within your record saying ‘Use the back door when visiting as the front door is harder to access’. To do this, scroll to the top of Client Notes and follow the instructions.
- For future reference, you can add attachments, voice recordings and pictures in here too.
- Click “Submit” and find your new note at the top of your Client Notes.
Create a Task
Tasks are created in your Client Notes as a reminder to perform a given task.
- Create a task for you to call the GP to arrange to pick up some medication. You do this the same way as creating a note but click the tick box in the outer blue box before hitting “Submit” and add when this task is due (set to 5 minutes so that you can see how overdue tasks are identified later on in the exercise).
- Click ‘Submit’ and the new task will be at the top of your Client Notes.
Enter personal details about your client
Let CHAI help you to keep track of and quickly access important Personal Details about your client that helps you to support them.
You probably won’t need to update Personal Details that often but it is valuable to always have easy access to the information when you need it.
- Enter client’s personal details by going to the Summary Page and clicking ‘Client Details’ in the left Menu List.
- A number of further buttons will appear for you to choose from.
- Having clicked an option you can click ‘next’ and ‘prev’ to navigate the remaining options or simply go back in your internet browser.
- Try entering some details (just examples or about yourself since this is your record) then return to the Summary Page (Task 1).
- You may see some of the information you have just entered on the Summary Page. This could be in the ‘Important Information’ list or as text near the top of your screen by the Personal Icon (currently still an empty square).
Use Daily Assistance forms
CHAI has various forms that allow you to easily record the wellbeing of your client, create shopping lists and record whether pet care is needed. These can all be located within the Daily Assistance button on the Left Side Menu in the Summary Page. We recommend that you complete the Contact Log every time you interact with your client (over the phone or face to face) so this also has a shortcut button to reach more easily (just above Daily Assistance).
- Create a Contact Log Entry: Work through the on-screen questions, clicking the tick or cross as appropriate, typing information in or clicking the relevant circle. When returning to this log, some information may be pre-populated from previous log entries and this can be left if nothing has changed.
- Always record when you need to visit or speak to your client next. Enter a time for the next visit as 5 minutes from now so that you can see what happens when something is due to take place.
- Remember to hit ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page to save the information.
- Create a Shopping List: You can take a picture of a paper list or type in the list yourself. This is an easy way to record what needs to be bought, when the client needs it and how the shopping is being paid for.
- Enter a Pet Record: Click the tick or cross to indicate what kind and when the pet care is needed.
Use a Health Diary
Health Diaries act as simple tools to check and prompt clients to proactively manage chronic conditions.
- Activate any of the Health Diaries available (e.g. COPD or Asthma) by tapping the slider button to the left of the dairy name.
- Once activated, click the button above to open the form.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to request consent from your client before completing this form. Then complete and “Submit” the form.
Enter Covid-19 Assessment
CHAI offers a simple way to keep track of a client’s Household COVID-19 status . This helps to understand how best to support your client and what, if any, safety measures are required during home visits (for both you and any members of the household).
Enter a ‘Household Coronavirus Status’ and click the ‘Household Testing’ button to record the test details for anyone in the household who has taken a COVID-19 test.
Print information as PDF documents
Information recorded in CHAI can be printed to PDF documents.
- Click the ‘Forms and PDFs’ button in the left menu.
- Explore the options in this window and try printing your latest shopping list as a PDF by clicking the ‘Latest Shopping List’ button.
- Remember that you have to enable pop ups on the device that you are using so that the new window containing the PDF opens successfully
Find Tasks that are overdue
Tasks are automatically and manually set in CHAI and they appear in Client Notes. A minimum of one task will now be overdue (see Task 4).
- Check Client Notes and find the Task you created in Task 4. This will have an orange alarm bell icon, and a message about when due.
- This reminder is cancelled when you tick the Task off when it is completed.
You have successfully completed the CHAI training exercise.
All these features will become easy to use with a little practice. Try repeating the training in a few days without referring to the User Guide. Note that the User Guide contains Tips and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and much more.
Access the User Guide at any time when using CHAI at the foot of every page.